Sunday, 26 June 2016

Prince Albert & Princess Charlene of Monaco - 5th Anniversary Reply (2016)

This arrived while I was on Holiday.

I had written to Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco to congratulated them on their 5th Wedding Anniversary, which is July 1st/2nd (Civil/Religious). I had written much earlier than I normally do because I had gotten June and July mixed up. Surprisingly this arrived well before their actual anniversary.

The front of the envelope looks like typical mail from Monaco.

The Stamp is for the 150th Anniversary of the International Telecommunication Union. It was released in May 2015. The Postmark is for Jardin Exotique de Monaco (Exotic Garden of Monaco).


Two interesting about this envelope: (1) No monogram on the back. (2) The envelope is not as nice quality as we normally see from Monaco. It is hard to tell from the picture, but you can definitely feel and see the difference in person. Monaco envelopes usually vary in colour (white, cream, etc) and have different textures, but they are very nice quality. This envelope is a very basic envelope.

Many Royals use basic envelopes with little/no adornment, which is fine. It's just surprising for Monaco. Their Royal Family has a long history of being Stamp Collectors (Philatelist). There is a Royal Stamp Collection museum, and every Stamp & Postmark that Monaco uses has been approved by the Prince for generations.

So obviously mail is an important thing for the Royal Family. They take great care & pride in it. (I have long considered them to send the nicest replies out of all the royals). They are also one of the only royals to use actual stamps on their royal mail.

Another interesting thing is the reply, that it is a letter. Normally they send a pre-typed card for the occasion. (Which are always very lovely, on very nice quality paper). I wonder if they are planning on sending out a pre-typed card as their anniversary reply, but because I wrote so early, and it was replied to early, I got something different.

Letter replies are usually sent, when they don't have a pre-made card (either because they didn't make one for that occasion, or you wrote too early or late).

I have previously received a letter from Prince Albert for His 10th Anniversary on the Throne (which could be a case of writing too late). His 10th Anniversary was in April 2015, and I had written in July 2015, when they were having the big celebration for his 10th Anniversary.

The letter was written by Christine Sprile, Prince Albert's Private Secretary, and is fairly short, printed on nice paper. You will notice they took care to put the text between the two folds.


What is interesting is the date on the letter, July 4th, which is next week. (Obviously not when the letter was written.) Sometimes replies are dated with the date of the event, but their wedding anniversary is on July 1st/2nd, not 4th. This letter was also written to late for it a June/July mistake, where they had meant to write June 4th.

The red print on the top of the page reads "La Secrétaire Particuliére De S.A.S. Le Prince Souverain De Monaco" which translated mean "The Private Secretary of His Serene Highness, the Sovereign Prince Of Monaco."

TT.SS.HH. means Their Serene Highnesses. I'm not really sure why they write each letter twice since TSH (Their Serene Highnesses) is already the plural of HSH (His/Her Serene Highness). But they do it in French as well, writing LL.AA.SS (Leurs Altesses Sérénissimes), which is plural of S.A.S. (Son Altesse Sérénissime). Monaco and Luxembourg are the only Royal countries I have seen do this.

Starting Tuesday (June 28th), we will have our Monaco Royal Wedding Review to celebrate their 5th Wedding Anniversary!

Also Check Out:

7 comments:

  1. Hi, can you say anything about what you did write in the letter ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a months ago, so I don't completely remember.

      I always open with "Dear Your Serene Highnesses, I am writing to......" and in this case to congratulate them on the 5th wedding anniversary. I think then I went on and talked about how much they have both grown over the last 5 years, as both individuals, a couple and now as parents. Especially how Charlene has grown into her role.

      I think I then talked about the Princess Charlene foundation and how I though it was great. And then something about Albert's work on the environment.

      I must have mentioned something about their adorable kids. And then I probably ended by talking about the olympics, and how excited I was for it, and glad to hear that Monaco had finally qualified an athlete.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gert!
    This time is a very simple answer letters from Monaco, although they are accompanied by beautiful pictures ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely! I always seem to miss out on the pictures, but I'm glad you got one.

      Delete
  3. I wrote for their anniversary as well and I got TWO responses back. Both were the same form letter but written by different secretaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened to me a few times before.

      Delete
  4. Same reply as you received, Gert. No picture.

    ReplyDelete