William is visiting Japan (February 26 to March 1) and China (March 1 to March 4) undertaking official duties on behalf of the Queen. The focus of the trip is to promote UK-Japan/China relations, cultural exchange & combat the illegal wildlife trade and support wildlife conservation. This is William's first trip to either country. Catherine and George are staying at home, as Catherine is 7 1/2 months pregnant.
Official Count of Tour Engagements: 16 in Japan & 20 in China
Message for Chinese New Year
Thursday 26th February - Tokyo
- Arrived at Haneda Tokyo Airport and was received by Her Majesty's Ambassador to Japan (His Excellency Mr. Timothy Hitchens).
- Speedboat tour of 2020 Tokyo Olympic sites
- accompanied by the Governor of Tokyo (Mr. Yoichi Mazuzoe)
- Traditional Tea Ceremony
- at the Hama-rikyu Gardens
Friday 27th February - Tokyo/ Yokohama
- Hodogaya Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery - Yokohama
- Lay Wreath
- Luncheon with The Emperor and Empress of Japan at the Imperial Palace.
- Innovation is Great campaign launch at Mori Academy, Roppongi Hills
- Sake Barrel-breaking Ceremony
- Gave Speech
- Visited The Crown Prince and Princess at Akasaka Palace.
- Reception at the British Embassy
Saturday February 28th - Tokyo/ Tohuku region/ Koriyama
- Visit NHK, public service broadcaster
- Launch exhibition for the Innovation is GREAT campaign
- His Royal Highness later visited Smile Kids Park, Fukishima Prefecture, and was received by Shinzo Abe (Prime Minister of Japan).
- The region Fukushima was devastated by a magnitude 9 earthquake and tsunami in 2011
- Dinner given by the Prime Minister of Japan
Sunday March 1st - Ishinomaki
- visited Ishinomaki NewSea building, Ishinomaki.
- Meet locals affected by disaster
- Meet local news paper editors who started Children' News Paper
- Hoyoriyama Hill Vantage Point, Ishinomaki, in remembrance of the tsunami victims.
- laid a commemorative flower arrangement
- Visit town of Onagawa
- Ring Chime of Hope
- Visit Shopkeepers and residences
- Visited Matsushima Airbase in Miyagi Prefecture.
Sunday March 1st - Beijing
- arrived at Beijing International Airport and was received by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the People's Republic of China (Her Excellency Ms. Barbara Woodward)
Monday, 2nd March - Shijia Hutong/ Shanghai
- Received by The President of the People's Republic of China at the Great Hall of the People, Beijing.
- Visited the Forbidden City, Beijing.
- Received the Vice President of the People's Republic of China (Mr. Li Yuanchao) at the Great Hall of the People.
- Officially open the GREAT Festival of Creativity at Shanghai's Long Museum
- 1st event of the Year of Cultural Exchange between the UK and China
- Received Mr. Ma Yun (Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group)
- Received Mr. Wang Jianlin (Chairman, Wanda Group).
- Received Mr. Yuan Yafei (Chairman, Sanpower)
- Premier Skills event at Nanyang School.
- Education UK's Alumni Awards Ceremony.
- Meet nine Chinese finalists
- Give Opening Remarks
- Reopened the Heritage Building at the Intercontinental Shanghai Ruijin Hotel.
- Illegal Wildlife Trafficking Meeting with international non-governmental organizations at the Intercontinental Shanghai Ruijin Hotel.
- Officially opened the British Centre.
- meet staff
- Chinese Film Premiere of "Paddington" at Shanghai Film Museum.
- as President of BAFTA, present a special mask to the Shanghai Film Museum
- Dinner for the GREAT Festival of Creativity at the Long Museum
- visited Mengman Village, Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture.
- visited the Asian Elephant Sanctuary, Xishuangbanna.
- visited Wild Elephant Valley, Xishuangbanna.
- visited Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Gardens.
- attended the Conservation on the Border Conference at Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Gardens.