Thursday 22 June 2023

For when people are like "Her name is Catherine!! Who is Kate?!"

I've gotten yelled at a lot over the year for referring to the Princess of Wales (formerly Duchess of Cambridge) as Kate. I think a lot of mistaken information gets spread on social media. Both Kate and the Palace have said numerous times over the years that Kate is perfectly fine. The palace being formal, tends to uses Catherine. But we have seen "Kate" used by friends, family members, and occasionally on royal duties. 

Kate has always gone by both Kate & Catherine. People can decide which to use depending on how formal they wish to be. And certainly there are times when formality is required. And times when formality is not required. 

When I started this blog, I initially felt I had to be formal and originally used Catherine. But then I was sitting with a friend in a cafe and we were talking about "Kate." And I decided I am not going to put on airs. I am going to talk to you the same way I talk to my friends.  And I think it is perfectly acceptable to refer to her as Kate in informal, casual situations, such as when you sitting on your couch tweeting to a bunch of strangers. (And I use that same casual style with how I refer to pretty much everyone, usually preferring to refer to them as Prince X or Duchess Y, instead of their full formal title.)

Below is one example from each year where Kate is referred to Kate by family members, during official engagements, etc. 

2024

  • Harry & Meghan refer to her as “Kate” in their statement following her Cancer announcement.

2023

  • Prince Harry's book Spare refers to her as "Kate"
  • Planter used by Kate during official engagement is labeled "Princess Kate". 

2022

2021

  • "Kate" is used throughout Harry & Meghan's Interview with Oprah

2020

  • During visit to Bradford, Kate introduces herself  as “I'm Catherine and Kate”.

2019

2018

  • King Harald of Norway refers to her as "Kate" in his speech during banquet during royal visit. Gifts for the couple from the Norway Royal Family are also labeled "Kate."

2017

  • While William & Kate were on BBC Radio 1, the interviewer throughout the show refers to her as Kate. Kate is asked about Prince Harry calling her "Cathy," and says she is fine with anything.

2016

  • Kate tells school children to call her "Kate" during opening of the Magic Garden at Hampton Court Palace

2015

2014

2013

  • David Cameron, then Prime Minister of the UK, refers to her as "Princess Kate" in interview

2012

2011

  • Margaret Rhodes, Queen Elizabeth II's cousin & fromer Lady in-waiting to the Queen Mum refers to her as both "Kate" and "Catherine" in autobiography "The Final Curtsey"
2010

  • Engagement interview, both William and the interviewer use Kate throughout. 

(If you find any more good references to Kate as Kate by her, her family or during some official engagement or something let me know.)

2 comments:

  1. I call people by they introduce way they introduce themselves, its just respectively. If she has recently introduces herself as Catherine, I respectfully call her that.
    Just because she is being polite I take what she says and she introduces herself as Catherine, not what she called herself way back, or those that have a relationship with her call her, nor what brother and sister in law (who have shown to not like her) call her, but what she says her name is.
    Perhaps i know how it is to be polite and let people call me an abbreviate name and let it slide even thou i keep telling people I am Catherine.
    Her name is Catherine, she keeps introducing herself as Catherine, not too sure why you find it hard to honour that - on a human level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. The Princess of Wales is fine with being called Kate. People who say otherwise are the real one’s disrespecting her. No true fan of The Princess of Wales would ever attack someone for calling her Kate.

    ReplyDelete